SOME INTERESTING FACTS about SP Caboose 4049
Southern Pacific Caboose No. 4049 was originally numbered SP 1403, part of the series SP 1400 to SP 1599, which totalled 200 cabooses, and was built by the Pacific Car and Foundry Company of Renton, Washington, in 1961, at a cost of $19,000. Originally equipped with 7 rotating chairs and 2 two-person reversible chairs in the bay windows, subsequent modernization reduced seating capacity to 5 rotating chairs and 2 rotating chairs in the bay windows, and replaced the flush hopper with a Microphor toilet with on-board sewage treatment system. Other changes included replacing two side windows with-adjustable vents, the addition of FRA safety glazing and installation of a 12V DC refrigerator/water cooler. The caboose's dimensions and weights follow:
The trucks are Barber-Bettendorf swing bolster type with leaf springs and have 33" wheels with roller bearings. The B end truck is equipped with a 12V DC alternator which charges the 12V battery which supplies power for the lights, radio and refrigerator. The heating stove is oil-fired, and the oil tank is beneath the single bunk.
The caboose was donated to the SCSRA by Pacific Rail Industries of Colton, California, and dedicated at Travel Town on October 12, 1989.
As maintained by the SCSRA, all on-board utilities are fully
operational including the sewage treatment system which discharges
only treated, chlorinated water on the ground in accordance with
|Contact them for more info and about domain sales.|